07 Apr Home Organization | Pantry Overhaul
Karen Brothers, Professional Organizer
Would you call your dentist to fix your car? Chances are, no, you would not. So we decided to stick with what we are good at (real estate!) and let someone else show us the ropes.
Karen Brothers is one of the few professional organizers partnered with The Container Store to help bring her clients systems and solutions for their space. We decided to put her skills to the test in one of the most daunting areas of a home… the pantry.
After learning about Michelle’s disdain for cardboard and how dexterous the Kolker boys are at climbing the shelves in pursuit of snacks, Karen was able to formulate a plan and get to work.
5 Steps to Home Organization
- Sorting – put like items with like.
- Purging – what can be tossed? Is there something that would work better in another room?
- Assigning a home – everything in its place and a place for every thing!
- Containers – the fun part! Now you are ready to accurately choose what works for the space you are in. This means choosing sizes, color schemes and textures.
- Maintaining – it’s ok to go back and tweak! Accepting that the system can change is part of the process.
The BIGGEST Myth in Organizing
A clean home is NOT the same thing as an organized home. Ae pristine home with sparkling countertops and vacuum lines in the carpet doesn’t do much for a homeowner if you still can’t find what you need, when you need it. Missing tax returns? Can’t find the Keurig coffee pods you bought for the in-laws? Not sure why you can never find your sunglasses? Maybe it’s time to call in a pro…
The Top TEN Areas to Organize
- Files (online AND offline) – oh yeah, Karen can do this too!
- Laundry Room
When and How to Tackle Organizing
Like Karen explains, there’s never a bad time to call for backup. New homeowners can create strategies BEFORE moving into their homes or whenever it feels like too much time and energy is being wasted.
Karen is offering one free hour with any four hour service for anyone that sees this blog. Click the image above or the button below to email her today!I need organizing in my life!